This article may contain links from our partners.
You might have heard the term “indie brand” and wondered, “What is an indie brand?” An indie brand, short for independent brand, refers to a brand that is independently owned and operated, and often operates on a small scale.
These brands are typically not owned by or affiliated with larger corporations, and instead focus on producing unique and niche products that cater to a specific audience.
Indie brands can be found in a variety of industries, including:
- Food, and more.
They often prioritize ethical and sustainable practices, and place a strong emphasis on building a strong connection with their customers through authentic and personalized marketing.
What is the meaning of an indie brand?
Indie brand is an independent brand, like a mom and pop shop.
For example, pizza restaurants like Pizza Hut, Papa Johns and Dominoes are not indie brands. They are huge companies affiliated with large entities.
But, Miss Ellie’s Pizza, which is one of my favorite pizza places in San Antonio, Texas, is an indie brand. They are an independently owned brand not associated with a bigger company.
What is an indie beauty brand?
An indie beauty brand is an independently owned and operated beauty brand that offers unique and niche products. Often they have a focus on natural, organic, or ethically sourced ingredients.
These brands are not owned by or affiliated with larger beauty corporations, and are often run by small teams or even individual entrepreneurs.
They offer a range of products, including:
- Haircare, and
These might be known for their innovative and high-quality formulations that cater to specific skin types and concerns.
Examples of indie beauty brands are:
- Glossier – A skincare and makeup brand that emphasizes minimalism and natural ingredients.
- Drunk Elephant – A skincare brand that focuses on using high-quality, clean ingredients to achieve healthy, glowing skin.
- Herbivore Botanicals – A skincare brand that uses natural, plant-based ingredients to create effective and luxurious products.
- Milk Makeup – A makeup brand that offers innovative and easy-to-use products with a focus on inclusivity and self-expression.
- Briogeo – A haircare brand that uses clean, natural ingredients to create products for a variety of hair types and concerns.
- Tower 28 – A makeup brand that specializes in clean, non-toxic products for sensitive skin.
- Kosas – A makeup brand that offers clean, high-performance products with a focus on natural, skin-like finishes.
These are just a few examples of the many indie beauty brands that are out there. Each brand has its own unique approach and philosophy. But, they all share a commitment to offering high-quality, effective, and sustainable products that cater to specific customer needs and concerns.
What is an indie clothing brand?
An indie clothing brand is an independently owned and operated clothing brand that offers unique and niche products. They may have a focus on alternative or unconventional styles.
These brands are not owned by or affiliated with larger fashion corporations, and are often run by small teams or even individual entrepreneurs.
Indie clothing brands often have a strong focus on sustainability, transparency, and social responsibility. They prioritize building a connection with their customers through personalized marketing and authentic messaging.
They offer a range of products, including tops, bottoms, dresses, and accessories, and are known for their innovative and high-quality designs that cater to specific aesthetics and subcultures.
Examples of indie beauty brands are:
- Reformation – A sustainable clothing brand that offers stylish and eco-friendly pieces made from recycled and eco-friendly materials.
- Allbirds – A footwear brand that creates comfortable and sustainable shoes made from renewable materials such as merino wool and eucalyptus fibers.
- Everlane – A clothing brand that prioritizes transparency and ethical production practices, offering high-quality basics at affordable prices.
- Patagonia – An outdoor clothing brand that places a strong emphasis on sustainability, ethical production, and environmental activism.
- Nudie Jeans – A denim brand that uses organic and recycled materials to create high-quality, eco-friendly jeans.
- Free People – A bohemian-inspired clothing brand that offers unique and eclectic pieces for free-spirited individuals.
- Wildfang – A clothing brand that specializes in gender-neutral and tomboy-inspired clothing, empowering women and LGBTQ+ individuals through fashion.
What are indie goods?
Indie goods refer to products that are produced and sold by independent businesses, typically on a smaller scale than products produced by larger corporations.
Indie goods can encompass a wide variety of products, including:
- Handmade crafts
- Artisanal food and beverages
- Unique fashion items, and more
The term “indie” refers to the independent nature of the businesses producing these goods. It often emphasizes the creativity, passion, and personal touch that goes into creating them. Indie goods are often produced using sustainable or eco-friendly practices. They may prioritize ethical sourcing of materials or ingredients.
They are typically sold through independent retailers or online marketplaces, and are often sought after by consumers who are looking for unique and high-quality products that support small businesses and independent artisans.
Bottom line: What is an indie brand?
I hope you have a better idea of what is in any brand now that I’ve explained it and given some examples.
To recap, an indie brand is a type of independent business that creates and sells unique products, often with a focus on sustainability, creativity, and authenticity.
Indie brands can be found across many industries, including:
- Fashion, and
- Home goods
They are known for their personalized approach, ethical production practices, and dedication to quality.
By choosing to support indie brands, consumers can enjoy high-quality and unique products. They can also contribute to a more diverse and sustainable marketplace that values creativity, innovation, and community.
Check out an entire collection of hundreds of different indie brands and start ups at Starter Story. Read about founders stories, how startups began, fundraising, how much money they make, hiring opportunities and a lot more.