This article may contain links from our partners.
In search of single mom jobs from home? Single motherhood can be challenging, but being able to work from home can offer a unique opportunity to balance work and family responsibilities.
For single moms, working from home can provide the flexibility needed to care for children while still earning an income.
With advances in technology, there are now a variety of work-from-home opportunities that can be pursued, from freelance work and online businesses to remote employment and consulting.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the possibilities and provide some tips for single moms who want to make working from home a success.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of stay at home mom jobs?
There are many different types of jobs that are well-suited for single moms who work from home. Some examples of jobs that can be done remotely and on a flexible schedule include:
1. Virtual Assistant
A virtual assistant provides administrative or technical support to clients, such as managing email, scheduling appointments, and creating documents.
This is like an online assistant. You can work for a company (like Fancy Hands) as an employee or independent contractor or run your own virtual assistant (VA) business.
Top VA’s like Kayla Sloan earn up to $10K/month as a VA!
2. Freelance Writer
A freelance writer creates content for various clients, including blog posts, articles, and marketing materials. This is the perfect mom hustle for someone who enjoys writing, is creative, and wouldn’t mind sitting at a computer all day.
3. Graphic Designer
A graphic designer creates visual content, such as logos, website layouts, and marketing materials. Graphic designers are creatives. They are deadline-driven and know how to create graphics using software like Adobe Photoshop and other graphic design tools.
I did graphic design work a bit, early in my freelance career. It was fun but, ultimately it wasn’t for me. I was lacking a lot of skills needed like knowledge and experience using Photoshop and other design tools. I relied on Canva which got me far but, it wasn’t a side hustle that stuck for me.
4. Social Media Manager
A social media manager creates and manages social media content for businesses or individuals, including posting updates and engaging with followers.
This is an ideal position for someone who knows social media well.
You should be:
- A great communicator
- Social media savvy
5. Web Developer
A web developer creates and maintains websites, including coding and troubleshooting issues. This can include front-end, back-end or full stack web development. This is a skill that can be self-taught or you can take a course to learn how to develop websites.
This is a good example of a flexible job for single moms working. There are tons of developer jobs that are remote, pay very well, and include some amazing benefits and amenities.
6. Online Tutor
If you’re looking for jobs online for moms, online tutoring is a good fit for many mothers looking for employment. An online tutor provides academic support to students, either one-on-one or in group sessions.
Tutoring can be a good side hustle or full-time job for moms.
How much can you make from online tutoring?
The amount of money you can make from online tutoring depends on several factors, including your level of experience, the subject you are teaching, the level of demand for your services, and the platform or service you are using to connect with students.
In general, online tutors can earn anywhere from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars per hour, with some highly experienced and specialized tutors commanding even higher rates. Some online tutoring platforms and services may also take a commission or a fee for their services, which can affect the amount of money you earn.
For example, some popular online tutoring platforms, such as Chegg Tutors, TutorMe, and Wyzant, pay tutors based on the number of sessions they complete, with rates typically ranging from $20 to $40 per hour for general subjects like math, science, and language arts.
More specialized subjects, such as test prep or advanced topics like coding or finance, can command even higher rates.
It’s worth noting that the amount of money you can make from online tutoring may also be affected by the time and effort you are willing to invest in marketing yourself and building your reputation.
By consistently delivering high-quality instruction and receiving positive reviews and referrals from satisfied students, you may be able to build a successful and profitable online tutoring business over time.
A consultant provides expert advice on a particular topic, such as marketing, finance, or technology.
Their primary role is to offer specialized knowledge, skills, and insights to help clients solve specific problems, improve operations, and achieve their goals.
Consultants typically work on a project-by-project basis, either as individuals or as part of a consulting firm. They may be hired to provide advice on a wide range of issues, including business strategy, marketing, finance, human resources, information technology, operations, and more.
Some of the common tasks that consultants may be responsible for include:
- Conducting research and analysis to identify problems or opportunities
- Developing recommendations and solutions based on their expertise and experience
- Presenting findings and proposals to clients and stakeholders
- Assisting with implementation and change management
- Providing ongoing support and guidance as needed
Consultants may work with a variety of clients, from small businesses to large corporations, and may specialize in a particular industry or field. They typically have a strong understanding of business principles, as well as excellent communication, problem-solving, and project management skills.
8. Online Marketplace Seller
Online marketplaces like Amazon, Etsy, and eBay allow you to sell products to customers around the world. You can create your own products, or purchase products in bulk and resell them.
Here are some examples of how to make money as an online marketplace seller:
- Sell on Amazon FBA
- Open and sell products in a Shopify store
9. Tech Sales
Tech sales reps sell tech products to customers, like hardware and software products. This is a good single mom job for people who are good salespeople, excellent communicators, and driven workers.
You don’t need a degree or experience to work in tech sales. You can go through tech sales training, like the online training offered at CourseCareers and join students who earn an average of $60K to $80K per year after graduating.
Read about why tech sales is one of the hottest tech job right now.
If you are fluent in another language, you can work as a translator, translating documents, videos, or audio recordings.
To become a translator, there are several steps you can take:
Develop proficiency in at least two languages: To be a translator, you must be able to fluently read, write, and speak at least two languages. It’s important to have a high level of proficiency in both your native language and the language(s) you want to translate.
Obtain a degree or certification: While a degree is not always required to become a translator, it can be helpful in establishing your credentials and developing the necessary skills. Many universities offer degree programs in translation, interpretation, or a related field.
Additionally, there are various translation and interpreting certifications available, such as those offered by the American Translators Association (ATA).
Gain experience: To gain experience, you can volunteer to translate for local organizations or individuals in your community. This can help you build your portfolio and develop your skills.
Choose a specialization: Translators can specialize in specific areas, such as legal, medical, or technical translation. Specializing in a particular area can help you become an expert in that field and increase your marketability.
Market yourself: As a freelance translator, you will need to market yourself to potential clients. You can create a website, build a social media presence, and network with other professionals in your field to establish yourself as a reliable and trustworthy translator.
Utilize translation software: While translation software cannot replace a human translator, it can be a helpful tool for improving efficiency and accuracy. Familiarize yourself with translation software and other technology tools to enhance your skills.
Becoming a translator takes time, effort, and dedication. However, with the right combination of language skills, education, experience, and marketing, you can build a successful career as a translator.
11. Customer Service Representative
Many companies hire remote customer service representatives to provide support to customers over the phone or through chat or email.
Customer service reps (CSRs) help customers with routine transactions like:
- Providing a balance
- Answering questions
- Help customers with inquiries over phone, email, or chat
12. Data Entry Specialist
For easy at home jobs for moms, data entry can certainly fit the bill. You don’t need a specialized background, education or experience to work in data entry.
A data entry specialist enters data into databases or spreadsheets for clients, such as customer information or financial records.
They are responsible for inputting, verifying, and maintaining accurate and updated information in electronic databases and spreadsheets. They typically work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, finance, government, education, and many others.
Some of the common tasks that data entry specialists may be responsible for include:
- Entering and updating information into electronic databases and spreadsheets
- Reviewing and verifying the accuracy of data entered into systems
- Organizing and maintaining electronic files and records
- Performing quality checks on data to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Handling and responding to data-related inquiries from clients, customers, and other stakeholders
- Generating reports and summaries from data sets as needed
Data entry specialists need to be skilled at typing, have excellent attention to detail, and be able to work with various data entry software and tools. They also need to be able to follow specific instructions and protocols to ensure data accuracy and completeness.
Overall, the role of a data entry specialist is critical in ensuring that organizations have up-to-date, accurate, and easily accessible information to make informed decisions and conduct their operations effectively.
13. Online Store Owner
You can start your own online store, selling products that you create or purchase in bulk.
You can sell a wide variety of products in an online store, depending on your interests, expertise, and target market. Some popular products to sell in an online store include:
- Physical goods: This can include products like clothing, electronics, furniture, and other items that can be shipped to customers.
- Digital products: These are products that can be downloaded or accessed online, such as ebooks, music, videos, software, and courses.
- Services: An online store can also sell services, such as web design, writing, coaching, and consulting.
- Subscriptions: An online store can offer subscriptions for products and services, such as monthly or annual membership programs, subscription boxes, and digital content access.
- Handmade and artisanal products: An online store can sell handmade or artisanal products, such as crafts, jewelry, home decor, and food items.
- Dropshipping products: An online store can sell products from a third-party supplier using the dropshipping model, where the supplier handles the shipping and fulfillment of the product.
- White-label products: An online store can sell white-label products, which are products manufactured by a third-party and rebranded under a new name.
These are just a few examples of products that you can sell in an online store. The key is to choose products that are in high demand, have a clear target audience, and are feasible to sell and ship online.
14. Copy Editor
A copy editor proofreads and edits written content, such as books, articles, and marketing materials.
Copy editors are professionals who review written material for clarity, accuracy, and consistency. They are responsible for ensuring that written content is error-free, consistent, and adheres to established standards for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style.
Some common tasks that copy editors may be responsible for include:
- Reviewing written content for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors
- Ensuring consistency in style and formatting, such as the use of capitalization, abbreviations, and citations
- Checking for accuracy of facts and data presented in the content
- Suggesting revisions to improve clarity, readability, and flow of the written material
- Working with writers and other professionals to ensure that content meets the needs of the intended audience
- Adhering to established style guides, such as the Associated Press Stylebook or the Chicago Manual of Style
Copy editors work in a variety of industries, including journalism, publishing, marketing, and corporate communications. They may also work as freelancers, providing copy editing services to clients on a project-by-project basis.
Overall, the role of a copy editor is critical in ensuring that written material is clear, accurate, and consistent. By reviewing and improving written content, copy editors help ensure that the intended message is effectively communicated to the audience.
15. Website Flipper
Website flipping refers to the process of buying, improving, and then selling websites for a profit. This practice is similar to real estate flipping, where investors buy a property, renovate it, and then sell it for a higher price.
This is a great fit for single mom jobs from home because of the remote nature of the work, flexibility and high income potential.
The process of website flipping typically involves the following steps:
- Identifying potential websites: Flippers identify websites that have potential for growth or are undervalued based on traffic, content, or revenue potential.
- Due diligence: Before buying a website, flippers conduct due diligence to ensure that it is a worthwhile investment. This involves reviewing website traffic, revenue, expenses, content quality, and other factors.
- Buying the website: Flippers negotiate with the current owner and purchase the website for a fair price.
- Improving the website: Flippers make improvements to the website to increase its value, such as redesigning the site, improving the content quality, or implementing better SEO practices.
- Increasing revenue: Flippers may also work on increasing the revenue generated by the website, such as by adding more advertising or affiliate links.
- Selling the website: Once the website has been improved and its value has increased, the flipper sells it to a new owner for a higher price than they bought it for, earning a profit.
Website flipping can be a lucrative business if done correctly, but it requires careful analysis and strategic planning to be successful. Flippers must have a deep understanding of website design, development, and marketing to identify valuable opportunities and make improvements that will increase the website’s value.
How can I work from home as a single mom?
There are plenty of ways you can find single mom jobs from home. I just shared 15 different ways you can! Look at your skill set, interests, and passions to consider what kind of remote job you can pursue.
While I’m not a single mom, I am a mom and I’ve been enjoying work-from-home life for over 5 years. It c omes with its challenges, for sure, but, nothing beats wearing sweatpants, cozy socks, and sitting in bed with a laptop and a YouTube video in the background while I work.
Or, snuggling up on my sectional in the living room petting my cat with a cup of hot coffee next to me and some light background music happening.
I get to take long lunch breaks, I’ll often do half days so I can go to the nail salon or get my hair done. I’ll have lunch with my husband, go shopping, go explore downtown for a few hours, exercise when I want, take day naps, I could go on and on. The perks feel endless, sometimes.
How can a single mom survive without a job?
Surviving without a job can be a difficult challenge for anyone, especially for a single mom. However, there are several things that can be done to help make ends meet.
- Take advantage of government programs
- Look for part-time or flexible work
- Cut expenses
- Get support from family and friends
- Consider educational or training programs
Remember, the most important thing is to stay positive and keep pushing forward. With determination, resourcefulness, and a willingness to work hard, it is possible for a single mom to survive without a job. These are all some great resources for single mamas that are seeing single mom jobs from home.
What are the best jobs for stay at home moms?
There are a variety of single mom jobs from home that can be well-suited for stay-at-home moms, depending on their skills and interests.
Here are a few options to consider:
- Freelance writing or editing: Many businesses and publications need content writers or editors, and many of these jobs can be done from home on a flexible schedule.
- Virtual assistant: A virtual assistant provides administrative, technical or creative assistance to clients who may not have the time or skills to complete certain tasks themselves. It can be a flexible, well-paid job that allows you to work from home.
- Online tutoring: If you have expertise in a subject area, you could offer online tutoring to students in need. Many tutoring services allow you to set your own schedule and work from home.
- Social media management: Many businesses require social media management and marketing services, which can be done remotely. If you are skilled in social media and digital marketing, this can be a great job for you.
- Web design or graphic design: If you have creative skills, you could offer web or graphic design services to clients. This job can be done from home and can be very flexible.
- Online selling: You could start your own online store or sell items through a marketplace like eBay or Amazon. This can be a good way to earn money from home and have control over your own schedule.
Overall, the best job for a stay-at-home mom will depend on her skills, interests, and availability. However, these options can be a good place to start when looking for flexible, remote work opportunities.
How can I make good money as a single mom?
As a single mom, making good money may be a top priority for you. Especially when it comes to single mom jobs from home, there are some things to consider to make good money.
Here are a few suggestions on how you can make good money:
- Further your education: Obtaining a higher degree or certification can make you more competitive in the job market and can lead to higher paying job opportunities.
- Explore high-paying industries: Research high-paying industries and positions that align with your skills and interests. Examples include healthcare, technology, finance, and law.
- Look for flexible jobs: Many jobs today offer flexible work arrangements, such as remote work or part-time schedules. Explore job opportunities that offer flexibility and fit your lifestyle.
- Consider entrepreneurship: Starting your own business can be a great way to make good money on your own terms. Identify a market gap and launch a business that solves a problem for your target audience.
- Network and build relationships: Building relationships and networking with professionals in your industry can help you discover new job opportunities and increase your chances of finding high-paying jobs.
- Negotiate your salary: When offered a job, negotiate your salary to ensure you are being paid fairly. Be prepared to make a case for why you deserve a higher salary based on your skills and experience.
Remember, making good money as a single mom will require hard work and determination. With the right mindset and a strategic approach, you can find opportunities that will help you achieve financial stability and provide for your family.
These are just a few examples of the many single mom jobs from home available to single mothers who work from home. The key is to find a job that aligns with your skills and interests, and that offers the flexibility you need to balance work and family responsibilities.
It’s also important to do your research, network with other professionals, and market your skills effectively to potential clients or employers.